If time is limited then we recommend this 2 day adventure which reveals the wonderful natural world
of The Sea of Cortez.
- Duration: 2 days
- Intensity: Beginner-Intermediate
- Paddling time: 2-3 hrs average.
- Trip Style: Fully Catered
- Season: October-May
- Minimum age: No age limit
- Wildlife: Californian Sea-lions, tropical fish, endemic ring-tailed cat (Babisuri), whales (seasonal), dolphins, manta rays, Pelicans, Blue-footed Boobies, Ospreys, Frigates, Herons and Egrets.
- Includes: Certified, bi-lingual naturalist guide(s) & cook(s). Singles and/or double kayaks, all kayaking gear, camping equipment, sleeping bag, snorkel sets, shorty wet suits, transportation to and from you La Paz hotel to the Island. A tasty lunch and dinner are included on Saturday followed by breakfast and lunch on Sunday. We also provide cold beverages, a sunset cocktail and wine with dinner plus coffee or tea and fruit juice for breakfast.
- Does not include: Hotel, airport transfer and flights.
A perfect opportunity to sample an Espiritu Santo kayaking expedition in just two days and one night. An exotic first time camping and/or a great introduction to sea-kayaking. This short trip provides a flexible opportunity to do as much or as little as you choose.
Arrive in La Paz.
- Day 1: 9:00am meet at BOA kayak center to be kitted out with gear. Then transfer by fast motor boat out to Espiritu Santo Island. We will begin our adventure either by snorkelling or kayaking depending on conditions. The kayak trip will take us into very tranquil waters as we explore an intriguing mangrove lagoon where you will discover a peaceful setting for herons, egrets and frigate birds - a great introduction for novice paddlers. Then a late afternoon hike or perhaps just kick back and relax in paradise as you sip the first ice-cold margarita prepared by our cocktail master! Following sunset, dinner will be served and tonight you will sleep in tents under a thousand stars.
- Day 2: Following a cooked breakfast a second kayaking trip will take us to the interesting relics of the island's once prosperous Oyster Farm. This industry gave La Paz the illustrious title "Pearl Capital of the World" and which later inspired John Steinbeck to write his famous parable "The Pearl". Return to our camp beach for lunch and then mid afternoon we will arrive back in La Paz for showers and onward travel.
Note: As with all our expeditions, BOA's first priority is the safety and comfort of our guests. In the event of inclement weather and/or according to the group's sea-kayaking ability the guides may deviate from the above route plan.
Located just 15 miles north of La Paz this beautiful island is celebrated as Mexico's most popular sea-kayaking playground. We access the "Jewel of The Cortez" by motor boat voyaging due north from La Paz and across the San Lorenzo channel in under one hour.
Espiritu Santo was declared part of a Biosphere Reserve by the UNESCO in 1995 and is one of several islands that form the Gulf of California Islas' National Park. The archipelago of Espiritu Santo is made up of several smaller islands several of which are important nesting sites for the region's sea birds. When viewed on google maps one can't help but notice the long fjord like bays that are deeply recessed on the west coast that provide us with picture-perfect camping beaches. "Los Islotes" situated off the north coast of the island forms the crowning glory where a magnificent permanent sea-lion colony resides.