This 4 day expedition to Espiritu Santo is a wonderful way to enjoy the highlights of the Isla and experience a real kayaking/camping adventure.
- Duration: 4 days
- Intensity: Beginner-Intermediate
- Paddling time: 2-3 hours west coast, 3-4.5 hours east coast.
- Trip Style: Choice of Fully Catered and Co-operatively Catered.
- Season: October-May
- Minimum age: Age 6 for Fully Catered and age 12 for Cooperatively Catered
- Wildlife: Californian Sea-lions, tropical fish, endemic ring-tailed cat (Babisuri), whales (seasonal), dolphins, manta rays, Pelicans, Blue-footed Boobies, Ospreys, Frigates, Herons and Egrets.
- Includes: Certified, bi-lingual naturalist guide(s) & cook(s). Singles and/or double kayaks, all kayaking gear, camping equipment, transportation to and from your La Paz hotel to the Island. All food and beverages during expedition including, cold beers, happy hour and wine with evening meal.
- Does not include: Airport transfer and flights, hotel accommodation.
- Available for rent: Sleeping bags, snorkel sets and wet suits.
Our 4 day expeditions are an excellent introduction to sea-kayaking and enable those with a limited amount of vacation time, to still get out and enjoy the Gulf of California´s most beautiful island. During these trips we paddle for about 3 hours a day discovering a new beach to set up camp. This leaves plenty of time free to hike into the interior of the island exploring canyons with amazing rock formations and fascinating plant life. We also have time to snorkel each day and marvel at one of the world´s most diverse 'natural aquariums'.
- Day 1: Transfer from your hotel in La Paz to Espiritu Santo Island in BOA´s high speed motor boat. Guides discuss points on safety and provide beginners with the basics of sea kayaking and correct use of gear and kayaks. In the afternoon we embark on our first paddle beneath spectacular volcanic cliffs and arrive at the first of many beautiful beaches to set up camp.
- Day 2: Continue in our kayaks exploring a new section of coastline with small off shore islands where numerous sea birds nest. Our next bay has an intriguing canyon with dry waterfall and a fresh water well where we can enjoy a refreshing rinse! Camp on a new beach.
- Day 3: Today we will kayak to the north end of the island crossing over to Isla Partida and setting camp in the breath-takingly beautiful bay of Ensenada Grande.
- Day 4: We will take a boat ride out to an exquisite off shore islet which is home to a large sea lion colony. Here you can experience the amazing thrill of swimming with sea lion pups and snorkel amongst thousands of tropical fish. Lunch back at camp and then pack up to return to La Paz by mid afternoon.
Located just 15 miles north of La Paz this beautiful island is celebrated as Mexico's most popular sea-kayaking playground. We access the "Jewel of The Cortez" by motor boat voyaging due north from La Paz and across the San Lorenzo channel in under one hour.
Espiritu Santo was declared part of a Biosphere Reserve by the UNESCO in 1995 and is one of several islands that form the Gulf of California Islas' National Park. The archipelago of Espiritu Santo is made up of several smaller islands several of which are important nesting sites for the region's sea birds. When viewed on google maps one can't help but notice the long fjord like bays that are deeply recessed on the west coast that provide us with picture-perfect camping beaches. "Los Islotes" situated off the north coast of the island forms the crowning glory where a magnificent permanent sea-lion colony resides.